Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Moral Maturity?

As Calli matures, I am starting to try and teach her not only how we behave, but also why. Today in the park, we shared our ball with another boy. That much we have done before. But as we were leaving, his caregiver took it away from him, and gave it back to us. I thought, we have a lot of balls - I don't think he has many. And he really liked ours. So I pulled Calli aside and asked her if we could give the ball to him. I reminded her we had lots of balls at home, and encouraged her that sometimes it is good to give things to other people. At first she said "no", but then agreed we could give it to him - for a present. (She did ask me if it was his birthday :) ) But she gave away her ball, without crying or fussing. I am so proud of her!

Also today, I looked in on her and Mari, and found Mari on the floor crying. I asked Calli if she had pushed Mari. Calli didn't answer. I asked her again. She has never lied, and I don't think she understands the concept yet. Her reply: "Mamma, I don't want to talk to you right now. Please go away."

So we are on our way - but still have a ways to go :)

No comments: